Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
The Adelphic Society was the younger of the two literary societies that flourished on the Augustana College campus during the early decades of its existence. The Adelphic Society was organized by the students in the fall of 1882, its first meeting taking place 14 October 1882. The Adelphic Society records, 1882-1929 and undated, contains organizational papers, financial records, publications, and other papers.
This collection contains over one hundred years of documents from Augustana College’s numerous debate organizations dating back to 1889. Contained in this collection are minutes, secretaries’ books, club constitutions, executive committee notes, correspondences, financial records, annual reports, programs and tickets, printed matter, trophies, and plaques dating from 1889 until 1991.
The Lyceum was formed by two rival literary groups at Augustana College, the Adelphic and Phrenokosmian societies, in order to create a lecture and concert series. The first recorded minutes of the Board of the Lyceum of Augustana College and Theological Seminary date from 1892, but there is evidence that the group existed as early as 1890. The Lyceum records, 1892-1931 and undated, has been arranged into three series: Lyceum general body; Lyceum Board of Directors; and ephemera.
- Subject: Debates and debating X
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Students 3
- College students -- Social life and customs 3
- College students -- Societies, etc. 3
- Literature -- Societies, etc. 3
- Leisure -- United States 1
- Multiple languages 3
- English 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Adelphic Society 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Lyceum 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Phrenokosmian Society 1