Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 20
Identifier: MSS 4
Overview Gustav Andreen was the fourth president of Augustana College as well as its longest-serving president, having held office from 1901 to 1935. Andreen was the first Augustana president to be born in the United States, to have graduated from Augustana, and to serve more than 30 years. Andreen was also responsible for creating an organized fundraising campaign to establish a college endowment. During his time at Augustana, Andreen created a formal geology department, raised over $1 million for the...
Identifier: MSS 235
Overview The Augustana Concert Band is the oldest musical organization on campus, founded in 1874. Since its founding, the band has toured multiple times throughout the United States as well as in Europe, notably being one of the first American collegiate groups to travel through Europe in 1928. The Augustana College Band records, 1875-2013 and undated, consists of eight series: Programs, Minutes, Financial Records, Correspondence, Publicity, Other Bands, Video Recordings, and Sound Recordings.
Identifier: MSS 364
Overview Augustana College was founded by Swedish Lutherans in Chicago as Augustana Theological Seminary in 1860. The Augustana College charter and constitutions contains 1869 charter as well as several stages of the constitution.
Identifier: MSS 234
Overview The Augustana Choir was formed in 1931 under the direction of Henry Veld, who merged Augustana College's two choral groups, the Wennerberg Chorus and the Orioles, into one group. The choir made its first appearance 18 March 1931 during a concert at Orchestra Hall in Chicago and became an immediate success. Since its debut, the Choir has performed all over the United States and has made appearances in Canada, Europe, and China. The Choir has made numerous recordings and has performed on both...
Identifier: MSS 200
Overview The collection of Augustana College exhibition materials, 1869-1960 and undated, contains college records, promotional materials, programs, and other papers apparently collected for an exhibition relative to the history of Augustana College.
Identifier: MSS 237
Overview The Collection on Augustana Musical Organizations, 1873-1936, 1983-2001, contains information on several historic (now defunct) musical groups formed at Augustana College: Lusciniola Society, Chapel Choir, Lutherman Male Chorus, Augustana Male Quartet, and Koto Ensemble. Materials include constitutions, minutes and other official records, programs, photographs, and ephemera.
Identifier: MSS 42
Overview The Office of Academic Affairs and its predecessors, including the Office of the Dean, have overseen the following functions at Augustana College: ortganizing faculty development, assessing the Augustana College curriculum, managing accreditation, establishing the budget, coordinating the general education curriculum, academic advising, and linking to the faculty governance structure at the College. The Augustana College Office of Academic Affairs records, 1948-2017 and undated, contains...
Identifier: MSS 236
Overview The Augustana Symphony Orchestra, also known as the Augustana College Orchestra in its earlier years, is a student-based musical organization that features select soloists from the college. It has been an active organization in the college, even from its early years. The Augustana Symphony Orchestra records, 1912-1991 and undated, contains programs, clippings, financial records, and posters.
Identifier: MSS 150
Overview Erland Levi Borg was an Augustana alumnus and Lutheran minister. The Erland Levi Borg papers, 1926-1993 and undated, contains articles, pamphlets, receipts, music uniforms, and paraphernalia regarding the Augustana Concert Band European Tour of 1928 and other campus organizations. There is also biographical information regarding Borg's life after Augustana and photographs of Band Tour Reunions. Materials have been arranged into series according to accession date.
Identifier: MSS 1
Overview The Lars Paul Esbjörn and Esbjörn family papers primarily documents the personal and professional life of the first president of Augustana College, Lars Paul Esbjörn. Esbjörn was born in Sweden in 1808 and immigrated to America in 1849. In 1860, he became the first president of Augustana College, and remained in this position until 1863, when the college was moved to Paxton, Illinois. That same year, Esbjörn returned to Sweden where he lived until his death in 1870. His papers include...
- Subject: Universities and colleges -- Illinois X
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Band 3
- Andreen, Gustav Albert, 1864-1940 2
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) 2
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Choir 2
- Hasselquist, T.N. (Tufve Nilsson), 1816-1891 2
- Olsson, Olof, 1841-1900 2
- Tredway, John Thomas, 1935- 2
- Veld, Henry 2
- Albrecht, Esther Andreen, 1896-2001 1
- Andreen family 1
- Andreen, Carl Oscar, 1906-1978 1
- Andreen, Gustav Strand, 1901-1963 1
- Andreen, Marion Albert, 1894-1941 1
- Andreen, Paul Harold, 1891-1936 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Augustana Symphony Orchestra 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Black Student Union 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Koto Ensemble 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Office of Academic Affairs 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Augustana Male Quartet 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Chapel Choir 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Conservatory of Music 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Lusciniola Society 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Lutherman Male Chorus 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Oriole Chorus 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Wennerberg Chorus 1
- Beta Omega Sigma (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Borg, Erland Levi 1
- College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin 1
- Esbjörn family 1
- Esbjörn, L.P. (Lars Paul), 1808-1870 1
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America 1
- Graham, A. Cyril, 1878-1953 1
- Handel Oratorio Society 1
- Hasselquist family 1
- Hasselquist, Eva Helena Cervin 1
- Hasselquist, Hanna 1
- Hay, Ellen 1
- Hemke, Junita Borg 1
- Higher Learning Commission 1
- Johnston, Martin M. 1
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (U.S.) 1
- Olsson family 1
- Olsson, Anna Lisa 1
- Olsson, Anna, 1866-1946 1
- Olsson, Johannes Samuel "Hannes", 1877-1967 1
- Olsson, Lydia, 1874-1958 1
- Olsson, Maria, 1869-1934 1
- Sabbath, Barbara 1
- Sabbath, Charles 1
- Sigma Alpha Iota 1
- Sigma Alpha Iota. Delta Tau Chapter (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- WVIK (Radio station : Rock Island, Ill.) 1 ∧ less