Skip to main content

Augustana Women records

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 24
The Augustana Women records, 1946-1996 and undated, is organized into five series: Membership records, President's records, Secretary's records, Treasurer's records, and Memorabilia.

Membership records, 1964-1996 and undated, contains records of the officers, membership lists, retired member lists, mailing instructions, labels, an invitation sent to prospective members in the 1991-1992 year, and five lists of prospective members from 1993 to 1996. President's records, 1969-1991, contains a 1984 letter from the Easter Seal Foundation and presidents' notebooks containing member lists, instructions for officers and hostesses, and constitutional amendments. Secretary's records, 1946-1992, contains meeting minutes. Treasurer's records, 1964-1993, includes the treasurer's record book, 1964-1992 (housed in box 2), and other financial records. Memorabilia, 1964-1995, contains event fliers, 1987-1992, and a scrapbook, 1964-1995, containing invitations, programs, and newspaper clippings related to the group's events.

Dates

  • 1946-1996 and undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from Augustana College Special Collections and the copyright holder.

Extent

1.5 Linear Feet (/ 2 boxes)

Overview

On 16 October 1946, the wives of Augustana College faculty members, women faculty members, and women in the administration organized the social group first known as the Augustana Dames. The women agreed to meet five times per year and pay annual dues of one dollar. A constitution was adopted in 1964. The group changed its name to the Augustana Women in 1984. The Augustana Women records, 1946-1996 and undated, contains the official records of the group. The collection is organized into five series: Membership records, President's records, Secretary's records, Treasurer's records, and Memorabilia.

Historical Note

On 16 October 1946, the wives of Augustana College faculty members, women faculty members, and women in the administration organized the social group first known as the Augustana Dames. The women agreed to meet five times per year and pay annual dues of one dollar. A constitution was adopted in 1964. The group changed its name to the Augustana Women in 1984.

Arrangement

Original order has been maintained.

Custodial History

This collection originally existed in two distinct iterations: MSS 24 Augustana Dames records and MSS 57 Augustana Women records. Per current archival standards, in July 2014 the two collections were combined because they represent the same organization. MSS 24 was renamed Augustana Women records to reflect the most current name of the organization. The organization may have changed its name to "Augustana Dames Society" in 1995, but this can not be conclusively determined from the materials in the collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Immediate source of acquisition unknown.

Processing Information

Processed by Carrie J. Goodin, 2001. Updated by Allison James, 2008, and Samantha Crisp, July 2014. Revised by Atticus Garrison, August 2016.

Creator

Title
Augustana Women records, 1946-1996 and undated.
Status
completed
Author
Atticus Garrison
Date
August 2016
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Augustana College Special Collections Repository

Contact:
639 38th Street
Thomas Tredway Library
Rock Island Illinois 61201 United States