Skip to main content

Kahlke Bros. Boatyard records

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 338
The Kahlke Bros. Boatyard records, 1882-1918 and undated, contains correspondence and other papers dealing with the management of the boatyard. The bulk of the correspondence consists of letters between Fred and Ed Kahlke.

Dates

  • 1882-1918 and undated

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from Augustana College Special Collections and the copyright holder.

Extent

0.2 Cubic Feet (/ 1 box)

Overview

John and Peter Kahlke, two brothers born in Germany, opened the Kahlke Bros. Boatyard in Rock Island, Illinois in 1868. The business, which focused on building and repairing wooden boats of various types, was well known throughout the United States for its high quality work. In 1924, the boatyard was passed on to Peter's sons, Fred and Ed. The Kahlke Bros. Boatyard records include correspondence and other records related to the management of the business.

Historical Note

In 1868, John and Peter Kahlke, two brothers born in Germany, opened the Kahlke Bros. Boatyard in Rock Island, Illinois. The business, which focused on building and repairing wooden boats of various types, was well known throughout the United States for its high quality work. In 1924, the business was passed on to Peter's sons, Fred and Ed Kahlke. The boatyard remained open until Fred's death in 1975, though major building projects ended several decades earlier.

Several notable vessels were built at the Kahlke Bros. Boatyard, including the W.J. Quinlan (1925) and the Lone Star (1922). The Quinlan, which provided ferry service across the Mississippi River between Rock Island, Illinois and Davenport, Iowa, was a popular attraction. It made trips across the river for 18 hours each day and housed a dance floor, bandstand, bar, and slot machines. Even after it was dismantled in 1945, the Quinlan remained at the Kahlke Bros. Boatyard, where it was revered as a landmark. It was destroyed in a fire in 1967.

Arrangement

Chronological.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Immediate source of acquisition unknown.

Related Materials

Special Collections vertical files: Kahlke, Fred A., Kahlke Boatyard (Rock Island, Ill.);

Personal collection of Captain John Vize, East Moline, IL (see Special Collections for contact information)

Processing Information

Processed by Emily Hughes Dominick, 2007. Updated by Samantha Crisp, January 2015 and Atticus Garrison, September 2015.
Title
Kahlke Bros. Boatyard records, 1882-1918 and undated.
Status
completed
Author
Atticus Garrison
Date
September 2015
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Augustana College Special Collections Repository

Contact:
639 38th Street
Thomas Tredway Library
Rock Island Illinois 61201 United States