Skip to main content

Collection on East Hall and the Augustana College English Department

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 250

Scope and Contents

The Collection on East Hall and the Augustana College English Department, 1881, 1962-1999 and undated, consists of three series: East Hall, Events, and Brochures/Pamphlets.

The East Hall series (1881, 1962-1978) contains newspaper article tributes and information on the history and eventual destruction of East Hall, including photographs of its interior and exterior.

The Events series (1972-1990 and undated) contains correspondence and pamphlets about English Department affiliated programs such as the Writers on Campus and two hosted Medieval banquets.

The Brochures and Pamphlets series (1970-1999 and undated) contains promotional information for English majors, materials used during classes that describe the program, and a letter sent to former students by faculty member Don Erickson asking for opinions regarding the usefulness of the major.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1881, 1962-1999 and undated

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from Augustana College Special Collections and the copyright holder.

Historical Note

The Augustana College English Department was housed in East Hall from 1955 to 1978. The interior and exterior of the historic building were remodeled many times. Two notable features of East Hall were a stairwell mural of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and "The Graffiti Room." The Graffitti Room was a project sponsored by Dr. Roald Tweet to curb vandalism on the building's exterior. It was a classroom covered with drawings, quotations and poetry created by Augustana students after the Kent State shootings in 1970.

Extent

0.5 Cubic Feet (/ 1 box and 1 oversize folder)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Augustana College English Department was housed in East Hall from 1955 to 1978. The interior and exterior of the historic building were remodeled many times. The Collection on East Hall and the Augustana College English Department consists of three series: East Hall, Events, and Brochures/Pamphlets.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Color photographs received from Roald Tweet, October 1984. In 2012, Ann Boaden donated materials, among which was a packet of materials for prospective English majors. Letter from Don Erickson received from English Department staff, 2013.

Related Materials

MSS 67 Augustana College Buildings and Grounds records

Processing Information

Processed by Allison James, 2007. Updated by Julia G. Westblade, 2013, Rukmini Girish, 2013, Samantha Crisp, July 2014, and Atticus Garrison, December 2015.

Title
Collection on East Hall and the Augustana College English Department, 1881, 1962-1999 and undated.
Status
Completed
Author
Atticus Garrison
Date
December 2015
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Augustana College Special Collections Repository

Contact:
639 38th Street
Thomas Tredway Library
Rock Island Illinois 61201 United States