Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Identifier: MSS 217
Overview The collection of Augustana College Athletics and Physical Education records, 1894-2016 and undated, includes meeting minutes and record books from several early athletic clubs, departmental records, sports schedules and brochures, athletic uniforms, and sketches of the Tribe of Vikings Hall of Fame inductees. It is divided into two series: Department of Physical Education and Athletics.
Identifier: MSS 45
Overview The Valkyries was an honorary athletics society that was created for women at Augustana College in 1928. It was organized by the Augustana Girls’ Athletics Association. Membership was limited to 24 girls who had earned 150 points in athletic competitions and were elected into the group. The Valkyries met to discuss problems in athletics and to promote enthusiasm in all women’s athletics. They also organized social functions for the group as well as the entire student body. The Augustana College...
Identifier: MSS 161
Overview Jane Sweet Brissman (1910-2006) became Augustana's first full time physical education teacher for women when she joined the faculty in 1936. During her time at Augustana she instituted a physical education program for women and founded "play days" for female students. These contests, which were later known as Women's Sports Days, commenced competitive athletics for women at Augustana. The Jane Brissman scrapbook, 1936-1954 and undated, documents the first 18 years of Brissman's time at...
- Subject: College sports for women -- Illinois -- Rock Island X
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Women's Athletic Association 2
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Department of Health and Physical Education 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Valkyries 1
- Brissman, Jane Sweet, 1910-2006 1
- College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin 1