Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Identifier: MSS 4
Overview Gustav Andreen was the fourth president of Augustana College as well as its longest-serving president, having held office from 1901 to 1935. Andreen was the first Augustana president to be born in the United States, to have graduated from Augustana, and to serve more than 30 years. Andreen was also responsible for creating an organized fundraising campaign to establish a college endowment. During his time at Augustana, Andreen created a formal geology department, raised over $1 million for the...
Identifier: MSS 19
Overview Known to the past students of Augustana as Augustana's "Grand Old Man," Edward Fry Bartholomew taught at Augustana for over forty years, starting in 1888. In addition to teaching in many different subjects, Bartholomew also delivered sermons and devotionals on campus and was active in the community. The Edward Fry Bartholomew papers, circa 1825-1975 and undated (bulk 1863-1946), includes Bartholomew's personal and professional papers, including correspondence, writings, sermons, lecture notes,...
Identifier: MSS 70
Overview Esther Beck graduated from Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minnesota, in 1928 and later became a teacher and dean of women there. She married Rev. Dr. Victor E. Beck in 1941, with whom she moved to Rock Island, Illinois, in 1955. Esther served as a teacher and counselor in the Rock Island public schools between from 1955 until her retirement in 1970. Upon her retirement from the Rock Island School District, she travelled to Taipei, Taiwan, where she taught English, speech, and debate at...
Identifier: MSS 367
Overview The Martin M. Johnston papers, 1920-1939 and undated, contains photographs, travel brochures, postcards, and maps, primarily related to the Augustana College Band's European tour of 1928. Martin M. Johnston was a music director and graduate of the Augustana Music Conservatory who led the band on this tour.
Identifier: MSS 3
Overview The Olof Olsson Family Papers documents the personal and private life of the third President of Augustana College, Olof Olsson, and his family. Olof Olsson was born in Sweden in 1841. He and his wife, Anna Lisa Olsson, emigrated from Sweden to the United States in 1869. In 1876 Olof Olsson was offered a professorship at Augustana College and Theological Seminary, Rock Island, Illinois. In 1891, Olsson was unanimously elected to the Augustana College presidency, a position he held until his...
- Subject: Europe -- Description and travel X
- Albrecht, Esther Andreen, 1896-2001 1
- Anderson, Netta C. Bartholomew, 1873-1960 1
- Andreen family 1
- Andreen, Carl Oscar, 1906-1978 1
- Andreen, Gustav Albert, 1864-1940 1
- Andreen, Gustav Strand, 1901-1963 1
- Andreen, Marion Albert, 1894-1941 1
- Andreen, Paul Harold, 1891-1936 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Band 1
- Bartholomew family 1
- Bartholomew, Catherine L. "Kate" 1
- Bartholomew, E.F. (Edward Fry), 1846-1946 1
- Beck, Esther A. (Esther Anderson), 1904-1988 1
- Carthage College (Kenosha, Wis.) 1
- Delta Kappa Gamma Society International. Lambda State (Ill.). Beta Epsilon Chapter (Rock Island, Ill.) 1
- Johnston, Martin M. 1
- Olsson family 1
- Olsson, Anna Lisa 1
- Olsson, Anna, 1866-1946 1
- Olsson, Johannes Samuel "Hannes", 1877-1967 1
- Olsson, Lydia, 1874-1958 1
- Olsson, Maria, 1869-1934 1
- Olsson, Olof, 1841-1900 1 ∧ less