Skip to main content

Oriole Chorus records

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 233
This Oriole Chorus records, 1915-1933, includes meeting minutes, constitution and bylaws, treasurer's reports, and programs. The materials have been arranged into three series: Administration, Programs, and Photographs.

The Administration series (1915-1932) contains the group's business records. Materials include meeting minutes, financial records, and versions of the group's constitution and bylaws. The Programs series (1915-1933) contains a sampling of programs from public performances of the Oriole Chorus. The Photographs series (1916, 1920) contains a group photograph, 1916, and a promotional tour poster, 1920.

Dates

  • 1915-1933

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from Augustana College Special Collections and the copyright holder.

Extent

0.3 Cubic Feet (/ 1 box and 1 oversize folder)

Overview

The Oriole Club (later the Oriole Chorus) was founded in 1915 by eighteen women students at Augustana College and Theological Seminary. The group stated its object as the "development and continuance of a ladies' chorus to promote instruction, sociability and entertainment of the members." The Oriole Chorus combined with the all-male Wennerberg Chorus to form the Augustana College Choir in 1931, although it continued to perform as a distinct group (later known as the Jenny Lind Chorus) until the mid-1960s. The Oriole Chorus records, 1915-1933, contains the group's meeting minutes, constitution and bylaws, treasurer's reports, programs, and photographs.

Historical Note

On 8 November 1915, eighteen women students of Augustana College met to form the Oriole Club. A few days later, they drew up a constitution in which they stated their object as the "development and continuance of a ladies' chorus to promote instruction, sociability and entertainment of the members." The group's constitution also stipulated one concert every year under the auspices of Augustana College and the possibility of a spring tour.

The Oriole Club was directed by Arvid Samuelson (1915-1919; 1921-1922), Georgia Nettles (1919-1920), E. Clifford Toren (1924-1925), Arthur E. Cassling (1927-1929), and Henry Veld (1930-1933).

In 1925, the group changed its name to the Oriole Chorus. It began to perform jointly with the all-male Wennerberg Chorus under the direction of Henry Veld in 1931 as the Augustana Choir. The Oriole Chorus changed its name to the Jenny Lind Chorus in 1933 and continued to perform as a distinct group (in addition to regular performances as part of the Augustana Choir) until the mid-1960s.

Arrangement

Collection is arranged chronologically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Immediate source of acquisition unknown.

Related Materials

MSS 234 Augustana College Choir records MSS 232 Wennerberg Chorus records MSS 30 Collection on Henry Veld

Processing Information

Processed by Emily Hughes Dominick, 2007. Updated by Samantha Crisp, July 2014. Revised by Atticus Garrison, January 2016.
Title
Oriole Chorus records, 1915-1933.
Status
completed
Author
Atticus Garrison
Date
January 2016
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Augustana College Special Collections Repository

Contact:
639 38th Street
Thomas Tredway Library
Rock Island Illinois 61201 United States