Music -- Instruction and study
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: MSS 235
Overview The Augustana Concert Band is the oldest musical organization on campus, founded in 1874. Since its founding, the band has toured multiple times throughout the United States as well as in Europe, notably being one of the first American collegiate groups to travel through Europe in 1928. The Augustana College Band records, 1875-2013 and undated, consists of eight series: Programs, Minutes, Financial Records, Correspondence, Publicity, Other Bands, Video Recordings, and Sound Recordings.
Identifier: MSS 234
Overview The Augustana Choir was formed in 1931 under the direction of Henry Veld, who merged Augustana College's two choral groups, the Wennerberg Chorus and the Orioles, into one group. The choir made its first appearance 18 March 1931 during a concert at Orchestra Hall in Chicago and became an immediate success. Since its debut, the Choir has performed all over the United States and has made appearances in Canada, Europe, and China. The Choir has made numerous recordings and has performed on both...
Identifier: MSS 230
Overview The Conservatory of Music was established in 1886 as a part of Augustana College and Theological Seminary with its own board of trustees. The conservatory instructed students in the areas of voice, piano, stringed instruments, and brass instruments. The collection includes programs, posters, brochures, announcements, invitations, tickets, bulletins, correspondence, and faculty minutes.
Identifier: MSS 236
Overview The Augustana Symphony Orchestra, also known as the Augustana College Orchestra in its earlier years, is a student-based musical organization that features select soloists from the college. It has been an active organization in the college, even from its early years. The Augustana Symphony Orchestra records, 1912-1991 and undated, contains programs, clippings, financial records, and posters.
Identifier: MSS 19
Overview Known to the past students of Augustana as Augustana's "Grand Old Man," Edward Fry Bartholomew taught at Augustana for over forty years, starting in 1888. In addition to teaching in many different subjects, Bartholomew also delivered sermons and devotionals on campus and was active in the community. The Edward Fry Bartholomew papers, circa 1825-1975 and undated (bulk 1863-1946), includes Bartholomew's personal and professional papers, including correspondence, writings, sermons, lecture notes,...
Identifier: MSS 147
Overview A. Cyril Graham was an organist, instructor, and composer who served as Head of the Organ and Theoretical Departments at the Conservatory of Music at Augustana College from 1921 to 1932. The A. Cyril Graham papers, 1901-circa 1939, 1976 and undated, primarily includes published and unpublished sheet music for pieces composed by Graham, as well as material related to a 1976 musical program in his honor.
Identifier: MSS 195
Overview Louise Nathanson (née Meiszner) was a world-renowned pianist active in the mid-twentieth century. The daughter of Hungarian immigrants, Nathanson hailed from St. Louis, Missouri, and performed as a soloist for many notable ensembles, including the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and the Phil Spitalny All Girl Orchestra. The Louise Nathanson papers, 1915-2008 and undated, contains correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, sheet music, recordings,...
Identifier: MSS 3
Overview The Olof Olsson Family Papers documents the personal and private life of the third President of Augustana College, Olof Olsson, and his family. Olof Olsson was born in Sweden in 1841. He and his wife, Anna Lisa Olsson, emigrated from Sweden to the United States in 1869. In 1876 Olof Olsson was offered a professorship at Augustana College and Theological Seminary, Rock Island, Illinois. In 1891, Olsson was unanimously elected to the Augustana College presidency, a position he held until his...
Identifier: MSS 233
Overview The Oriole Club (later the Oriole Chorus) was founded in 1915 by eighteen women students at Augustana College and Theological Seminary. The group stated its object as the "development and continuance of a ladies' chorus to promote instruction, sociability and entertainment of the members." The Oriole Chorus combined with the all-male Wennerberg Chorus to form the Augustana College Choir in 1931, although it continued to perform as a distinct group (later known as the Jenny Lind Chorus) until...
Identifier: MSS 360
Overview Charles John Sabbath was born 4 September 1930 in Muscatine, Iowa. He entered Augustana College in September 1950 as a sophomore transfer student from Muscatine Junior College. The Charles Sabbath papers date from 1949 to 1953 and measure 0.5 linear feet. The collection contains correspondence, registration materials, coursework, student life materials, and publications.