Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Identifier: MSS 395
Abstract The Augustana College audiovisual collection, 1930-2016 and undated, contains video recordings (including films, videotapes, and digital video) and audio recordings (including audiotapes, audiocassettes, and compact discs) related to Augustana College and the Quad City community. Recordings capture campus events, interviews with Augustana faculty and staff, promotional footage, musical performances, religious services, radio broadcasts, and other topics.
Dates: 1930-2016 and undated
Identifier: MSS 234
Abstract The Augustana Choir was formed in 1931 under the direction of Henry Veld, who merged Augustana College's two choral groups, the Wennerberg Chorus and the Orioles, into one group. The choir made its first appearance 18 March 1931 during a concert at Orchestra Hall in Chicago and became an immediate success. Since its debut, the Choir has performed all over the United States and has made appearances in Canada, Europe, and China. The Choir has made numerous recordings and has performed on both...
Dates: 1914-2013 and undated
Identifier: MSS 74
Abstract John Brown was a bus driver for the Greyhound bus company. He was first hired by Augustana College in 1942 to drive the Augustana Choir on their annual tour. He drove the choir on their tour for 33 years, until his retirement in 1975. The choir nicknamed him “Brownie,” and would request him as their driver every year. Materials in this collection include scrapbooks and news clippings.
Dates: circa 1952-1975
Identifier: MSS 373
Abstract Robert Fairman, Augustana College class of 1956, was a member of the Augustana Choir under the direction of Henry Veld. The Robert Fairman papers, 1946-1960, 2006, consist of two folders. The Augustana College Choir folder contains papers related to the choir and Fairman’s time at Augustana. The Augustana class reunion information folder contains a program and memorabilia from the 1960 Augustana College Choir 30th reunion and program information for the class of 1956’s 50th reunion and alumni...
Dates: 1946-1960, 2006
Identifier: MSS 82
Abstract Niel M. Johnson graduated with a B. A. from Augustana College in 1953. While in college, Johnson was active in the Rho Nu Delta fraternity, the Augustana choir, and was a reporter for the Observer, the college newspaper. Verna Gail Applegate attended Augustana College from 1949 to 1953. She was a member of the Chi Delta sorority, and her junior year she sang in the chapel choir. Niel and Verna met at Augustana and were married 1 May 1952, between their junior and senior years. The Niel M. and...
Identifier: MSS 111
Abstract Cora Santee was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania on 16 August 1916. From 1934 to 1937 she attended Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois, where she sang in the Augustana Choir which was directed by Henry Veld from 1929 to1966. This collection consists of a scrapbook of Cora Santee’s experience in the Augustana College Choir, which includes programs, news clippings, cards, photographs, posters, and song lyrics.
Identifier: MSS 30
Abstract Henry Veld conducted various choral groups associated with Augustana College, including the Augustana College Choir and Handel Oratorio Society, in the mid-twentieth century. During his tenure at Augustana, Veld took the choir on annual tours where they sang in 33 of the United States, three Canadian provinces, and five European countries. In 1955, the choir appeared on Ed Sullivan's Toast of the Town television program where they sang "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning," from the musical Oklahoma,...
Dates: 1923-1976 and undated
- Names: Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Choir X
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Faculty 3
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Students 3
- Choral societies -- Illinois -- Rock Island 2
- Music -- Instruction and study 2
- Music in universities and colleges -- Illinois -- Rock Island 2
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Administration 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Alumni and alumnae 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- History 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Alumni and alumnae 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Students 1
- Choral conductors -- Illinois 1
- College students -- Illinois -- History -- 20th century 1
- College students -- Social life and customs 1
- Ed Sullivan show (Television program) 1
- Music -- Societies, etc. 1
- Oral history 1
- Rock Island (Ill.) -- History 1
- Scrapbooks 1
- Sheet music 1
- Women college students -- Illinois 1 ∧ less
- English 5
- Multiple languages 2
- Veld, Henry 4
- Andreen, Gustav Albert, 1864-1940 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Department of History 1
- Bahls, Steven C. 1
- Bergendoff, Conrad John Immanuel (1895-1997) 1