Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Identifier: MSS 234
Overview The Augustana Choir was formed in 1931 under the direction of Henry Veld, who merged Augustana College's two choral groups, the Wennerberg Chorus and the Orioles, into one group. The choir made its first appearance 18 March 1931 during a concert at Orchestra Hall in Chicago and became an immediate success. Since its debut, the Choir has performed all over the United States and has made appearances in Canada, Europe, and China. The Choir has made numerous recordings and has performed on both...
Identifier: MSS 230
Overview The Conservatory of Music was established in 1886 as a part of Augustana College and Theological Seminary with its own board of trustees. The conservatory instructed students in the areas of voice, piano, stringed instruments, and brass instruments. The collection includes programs, posters, brochures, announcements, invitations, tickets, bulletins, correspondence, and faculty minutes.
Identifier: MSS 231
Overview The Handel Oratorio Society is a choral society composed of Quad City community members and local college students. It began in 1880 under the name Augustana Handel Oratorio Society and was founded by former Augustana College president, Olof Olsson. The Society is most famous for its Christmas season performance of George Frederic Handel's Messiah, which was first performed 12 April 1881. Charles Wuorinen's piece, The Celestial...
Identifier: MSS 233
Overview The Oriole Club (later the Oriole Chorus) was founded in 1915 by eighteen women students at Augustana College and Theological Seminary. The group stated its object as the "development and continuance of a ladies' chorus to promote instruction, sociability and entertainment of the members." The Oriole Chorus combined with the all-male Wennerberg Chorus to form the Augustana College Choir in 1931, although it continued to perform as a distinct group (later known as the Jenny Lind Chorus) until...
Identifier: MSS 272
Overview Sigma Alpha Iota (SAI) is an international women's music fraternity founded in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 1903. Augustana College's chapter, Delta Tau, was founded in 1965 and still exists today. The Sigma Alpha Iota, Delta Tau chapter records, 1950-2017, is organized into three series: Chapter records, Scrapbooks, and Photographs.
Identifier: MSS 232
Overview Augustana College's Wennerberg Male Chorus was formed in October 1901. Gustav Andreen, then president of Augustana College, had requested that a male chorus be organized to participate in the Gunnar Wennerberg Festival to be held the following December. The group eventually merged with the all-female Oriole Chorus in 1931 to form the Augustana College Choir, although the male members of the choir did continue to perform separately as the Wennerberg Chorus until the mid-1960s. The Wennerberg...
- Subject: Music -- Societies, etc X
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Choir 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Conservatory of Music 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Oriole Chorus 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Wennerberg Chorus 1
- Handel Oratorio Society 1