Augustana College Office of Cultural Events records
Scope and Contents
Materials in this collection include programs, flyers, newsletters, and posters. Many of these are related to student and faculty recitals held on and off campus, but also include information about visiting artists and guest performers.
For searching in this collection, a researcher needs to know the time frame when someone attended or worked for Augustana College.
Highlighted performances are included at the subseries level to aid in searching for visiting artists and performers.
- 1955-2017 and Undated
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from Augustana College Special Collections and the copyright holder.
The Office of Cultural Events existed from 1979 according to the Augustana College Catalog of that year.1 This office was previously the Cultural Activities Committee, which started in 1955 and consisted of students as well as an informal faculty advisor and was tasked with the organization of cultural events on the Augustana College campus.2 Throughout the existence of the Office of Cultural Events, various articles in the Augustana Observer (student newspaper) note links between on campus organizations such as the College Union Board of Managers (CUBOM). For example, students holding CUBOM season passes received free admission to Office of Cultural Events.3 There is evidence that the organization was helpful in the coordination of tours for various music ensembles on campus and had ties to the Office of Alumni in order to make booking connections. In the year 2005 according to the Augustana College Catalog, The Office of Cultural Events became a subsidiary of the Dean’s Office under the new name Hall Management and Performance Tours.4
1. "Augustana College Catalog 1979-81," Augustana College, Rock Island, IL, August 1979.
2. “Fine Arts Department Announces Season,” Augustana Observer, (Rock Island, IL), 26 September 1984.
3. “Knudsen Presents Plan for Revised Activities Setup,” Augustana Observer, (Rock Island, IL), 10 March 1955.
4. "Augustana College Catalog 2005/06," Augustana College, Rock Island, IL. 2005.
5. “Knudsen Outlines Year’s Activities,” Augustana Observer, (Rock Island, IL), 9 May 1955.
6. “R.A.,” Augustana Observer, (Rock Island, IL), 21 February 1957.
11 Cubic Feet (/ 26 Document Case boxes and 2 Clamshell boxes)
Language of Materials
The Augustana College Office of Cultural Events was responsible for planning and scheduling events on campus, especially those related to music and theater. While mostly organizing events for students and faculty, the Office of Cultural Events also helped organize events for visiting performers. Materials in this collection include newsletters, posters, flyers, news clippings, and programs.
Original order of items was maintained.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Some content received from professor of music and choral director Donald Morrison, 1 December 1993.
- Augustana College Office of Cultural Events records, 1955-2017 and Undated
- Harrison Phillis
- July 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Augustana College Special Collections Repository
639 38th Street
Thomas Tredway Library
Rock Island Illinois 61201 United States