Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Identifier: MSS 190
Overview The collection of Augustana College scrapbooks, 1896; 1960-1965, consists of scrapbooks related to Augustana College assembled by persons or departments unknown. The scrapbooks consist mainly of newspapers clippings; three include general Augustana-related items, while two specifically cover Augustana sports. The activities highlighted in the scrapbook pages include Greek life, social events in the Quad Cities area, Augustana choir events, campus construction projects, student groups, professor...
Identifier: MSS 45
Overview The Valkyries was an honorary athletics society that was created for women at Augustana College in 1928. It was organized by the Augustana Girls’ Athletics Association. Membership was limited to 24 girls who had earned 150 points in athletic competitions and were elected into the group. The Valkyries met to discuss problems in athletics and to promote enthusiasm in all women’s athletics. They also organized social functions for the group as well as the entire student body. The Augustana College...
Identifier: MSS 161
Overview Jane Sweet Brissman (1910-2006) became Augustana's first full time physical education teacher for women when she joined the faculty in 1936. During her time at Augustana she instituted a physical education program for women and founded "play days" for female students. These contests, which were later known as Women's Sports Days, commenced competitive athletics for women at Augustana. The Jane Brissman scrapbook, 1936-1954 and undated, documents the first 18 years of Brissman's time at...
Identifier: MSS 400
Overview Discrete oversize items, circa 15th century-2016 and undated, contains oversize flat items, rolled items, and framed items primarily relating to Augustana College and local history. Materials include maps, posters, book and manuscript pages, newsclippings, subject files, portraits, photographs, art prints, building sketches, and advertisements. The items in this collection were collected by Special Collections staff over a period of several decades. Materials largely relate to Augustana College...
Identifier: MSS 90
Overview Harry E. Nelson was born on September 21, 1913, in Rockford, Illinois. He attended Rockford High School, then was admitted to Augustana College. He graduated in 1935 with a bachelor’s degree. He also earned a master’s from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1940, and a doctorate from the University of Iowa in Iowa City in 1950. Nelson taught high school and college math in several Midwestern states until 1946, when he became a faculty member at Augustana College. He taught in the...
Identifier: MSS 7
Overview John Thomas Tredway was the seventh president of Augustana College, serving from 1975 to 2003. The John Thomas Tredway papers, 1958-1991, comprise Tredway's official papers from the first 5-10 years of his presidency. Papers include correspondence, financial data, campus planning documents, enrollment statistics, and subject files.
- Subject: Athletics X
- Andreen, Gustav Albert, 1864-1940 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Black Student Union 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Women's Athletic Association 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Valkyries 1
- Bergendoff, Conrad John Immanuel (1895-1997) 1
- Beta Omega Sigma (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Brissman, Jane Sweet, 1910-2006 1
- Cervin & Horn Architects (Firm) 1
- College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin 1
- Davenport, George, 1783-1845 1
- Denkmann family 1
- Denkmann, Anna Catherine Bloedel 1
- Denkmann, Frederick Carl August 1
- Elks (Fraternal order) 1
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America 1
- Hasselquist, T.N. (Tufve Nilsson), 1816-1891 1
- Hauberg family 1
- Keokuk, Sauk chief, 1780?-1848 1
- Nelson, Harry E., 1913-2004 1
- Olsson, Olof, 1841-1900 1
- Tredway, John Thomas, 1935- 1
- WVIK (Radio station : Rock Island, Ill.) 1
- Weyerhaeuser family 1 ∧ less