Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Identifier: MSS 234
Abstract The Augustana Choir was formed in 1931 under the direction of Henry Veld, who merged Augustana College's two choral groups, the Wennerberg Chorus and the Orioles, into one group. The choir made its first appearance 18 March 1931 during a concert at Orchestra Hall in Chicago and became an immediate success. Since its debut, the Choir has performed all over the United States and has made appearances in Canada, Europe, and China. The Choir has made numerous recordings and has performed on both...
Dates: 1914-2013 and undated
Identifier: MSS 237
Abstract The Collection on Augustana Musical Organizations, 1873-1936, 1983-2001, contains information on several historic (now defunct) musical groups formed at Augustana College: Lusciniola Society, Chapel Choir, Lutherman Male Chorus, Augustana Male Quartet, and Koto Ensemble. Materials include constitutions, minutes and other official records, programs, photographs, and ephemera.
Dates: 1873-1936, 1983-2001
Identifier: MSS 190
Abstract The collection of Augustana College scrapbooks, 1896; 1960-1965, consists of scrapbooks related to Augustana College assembled by persons or departments unknown. The scrapbooks consist mainly of newspapers clippings; three include general Augustana-related items, while two specifically cover Augustana sports. The activities highlighted in the scrapbook pages include Greek life, social events in the Quad Cities area, Augustana choir events, campus construction projects, student groups, professor...
Dates: 1896; 1960-1965; Majority of material found within 1960-1965
Identifier: MSS 231
Abstract The Handel Oratorio Society is a choral society composed of Quad City community members and local college students. It began in 1880 under the name Augustana Handel Oratorio Society and was founded by former Augustana College president, Olof Olsson. The Society is most famous for its Christmas season performance of George Frederic Handel's Messiah, which was first performed 12 April 1881. Charles Wuorinen's piece, The Celestial...
Dates: 1880-2004 and undated
Identifier: MSS 198
Abstract Erleen “Lindy” Lindeman transferred to Augustana College in 1941 after completing her first two years at Bethany College. She graduated in 1943 with a degree in English. While at Augustana, she sang in the Augustana Choir and Handel Oratorio Society, participated in a number of religious organizations, athletic groups, and women's clubs, and was a member of the Kappa Tau sorority. The Erleen Lindeman scrapbook, 1941-1943, contains keepsakes and pictures from her time at Augustana. The...
Identifier: MSS 233
Abstract The Oriole Club (later the Oriole Chorus) was founded in 1915 by eighteen women students at Augustana College and Theological Seminary. The group stated its object as the "development and continuance of a ladies' chorus to promote instruction, sociability and entertainment of the members." The Oriole Chorus combined with the all-male Wennerberg Chorus to form the Augustana College Choir in 1931, although it continued to perform as a distinct group (later known as the Jenny Lind Chorus) until...
Identifier: MSS 176
Abstract Carl Arnold Serenius was a student at Augustana College from 1922 to 1926. He was very active in the Augustana Male Quartet as well as the Wennerberg Chorus and football. Serenius married Blanche Williams, also a 1926 Augustana College graduate, in 1932. The C. Arnold and Blanche Serenius papers, 1922-1991, contains papers related to the college and professional lives of Blanche, Arnold, and Arnold's brother, Vernon Serenius, including a scrapbook, photographs, professional papers, and...
Identifier: MSS 30
Abstract Henry Veld conducted various choral groups associated with Augustana College, including the Augustana College Choir and Handel Oratorio Society, in the mid-twentieth century. During his tenure at Augustana, Veld took the choir on annual tours where they sang in 33 of the United States, three Canadian provinces, and five European countries. In 1955, the choir appeared on Ed Sullivan's Toast of the Town television program where they sang "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning," from the musical Oklahoma,...
Dates: 1923-1976 and undated
Identifier: MSS 232
Abstract Augustana College's Wennerberg Male Chorus was formed in October 1901. Gustav Andreen, then president of Augustana College, had requested that a male chorus be organized to participate in the Gunnar Wennerberg Festival to be held the following December. The group eventually merged with the all-female Oriole Chorus in 1931 to form the Augustana College Choir, although the male members of the choir did continue to perform separately as the Wennerberg Chorus until the mid-1960s. The Wennerberg...
Dates: 1901-1933 and undated
- Subject: Choral societies -- Illinois -- Rock Island X
- Music in universities and colleges -- Illinois -- Rock Island 5
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Students 4
- Music -- Instruction and study 4
- Music -- Societies, etc. 4
- Men's choral societies -- Illinois -- Rock Island 3
- College students -- Illinois -- History -- 20th century 2
- Scrapbooks 2
- Athletics 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Faculty 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- History 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Students 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Alumni and alumnae 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Basketball 1
- Baseball 1
- Choral conductors -- Illinois 1
- College sports -- Illinois -- Rock Island 1
- College students -- Recreation 1
- College students -- Social life and customs 1
- College students -- Societies, etc. 1
- Football 1
- Sheet music 1
- Swedish Americans 1
- Universities and colleges -- United States -- Religion 1
- Women -- Societies and clubs 1
- Women college students -- Illinois 1
- Women's choral societies -- Illinois -- Rock Island 1 ∧ less
- English 5
- Multiple languages 4
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Choir 2
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Augustana Male Quartet 2
- Handel Oratorio Society 2
- Veld, Henry 2
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Koto Ensemble 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Chapel Choir 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Lusciniola Society 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Lutherman Male Chorus 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Oriole Chorus 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Wennerberg Chorus 1
- Lindeman, Erleen 1
- Serenius, Blanche L. Williams, 1905-2004 1
- Serenius, Carl Arnold, 1902-1984 1
- Serenius, Vernon 1
- Sigma Kappa Tau (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Wuorinen, Charles 1 ∧ less