Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 25
Identifier: MSS 53
Overview Alpha Lambda Delta was a national honors society founded at the University of Illinois in 1923. Initially, it was open only to high-achieving women since its brother organization, Phi Eta Sigma, accepted only male participants. Both organizations became co-educational in the mid-1970s. The Augustana chapter, first called the Freshman Women's Honor Group and later nicknamed "Toppers," was formed in 1940. According to its constitution, the group tried to "promote intelligent living and a higher...
Identifier: MSS 50
Overview Aglaia Honor Society was founded in 1940 as an honor society for senior class women at Augustana College. The society chose to name itself after Algaia, or "Brillance," one of the three graces of Greek mythology. In 1946, the group began a long campaign to establish itself as a chapter of the Mortar Board, a national women's honor society. After twenty years of attempting to fulfill the necessary requirements, Augustana College's Mortar Board chapter was initiated in 1965. In 1975, per...
Identifier: MSS 48
Overview S.O.S. was a women’s service organization at Augustana College from 1971 until 1974. S.O.S. was briefly the counterpart to the all-male Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity, until the two groups merged in the mid-1970s. The Augustana College S.O.S. records, 1971-1972 and undated, consists of one folder of material. The collection includes two letters documenting the Student Personnel Committee’s approval of the S.O.S. constitution, three letters thanking S.O.S. members for participating in...
Identifier: MSS 226
Overview The Augustana Woman's Club (later called the Women's League) was founded in 1917. Women enrolled in any Augustana College department were eligible to join. The constitution of the club was soon amended to include women faculty members and wives of the faculty. Many of the activities organized by the club were social in nature while other activities were service-related. Often the group discussed an issue effecting women on campus and came to a consensus before approaching the administration...
Identifier: MSS 205
Overview The Augustana Endowment Society is a fundraising organization charged with raising money to support various activities and interests of Augustana College. The group was founded in 1894 as a women's organization. The Augustana Endowment Society records, 1894-2020, has been arranged into four series: Administrative Files, Financial Records, Yearbooks, and Artifacts.
Identifier: MSS 24
Overview On 16 October 1946, the wives of Augustana College faculty members, women faculty members, and women in the administration organized the social group first known as the Augustana Dames. The women agreed to meet five times per year and pay annual dues of one dollar. A constitution was adopted in 1964. The group changed its name to the Augustana Women in 1984. The Augustana Women records, 1946-1996 and undated, contains the official records of the group. The collection is organized into five...
Identifier: MSS 287
Overview Ann Boaden is a retired instructor in Augustana College's Department of English. Boaden collected these materials on Emmy Evald while researching female figures in Augustana’s history for her book, Light and Leaven: Women Who Shaped Augustana’s First Century. The Ann Boaden collection on Emmy Evald, 2005-2007 and undated, contains Boaden's handwritten notes on Emmy Evald and research files. Research files include photocopies of material related to the Lutheran...
Identifier: MSS 294
Overview The Chi Omega Gamma, Beta alumnae chapter was organized 21 January 1945 in Chicago, Illinois. The members met to keep in touch with alumnae from the Augustana College sorority, Chi Omega Gamma. The Chi Omega Gamma, Beta alumnae chapter records, 1945-1964, contains minutes, membership records, correspondence, invitations, flyers, COGWheel newsletters, and mailing lists.
Identifier: MSS 278
Overview Chi Omega Gamma is an Augustana College sorority founded in 1925 and still active on campus. The Chi Omega Gamma records, 1925-2006 and undated, contains a scrapbook, mailing lists, memorabilia, and other materials created by Chi Omega Gamma, as well as minutes and other records of the Chi Omega Gamma Tri-City alumnae chapter.
Identifier: MSS 197
Overview Ruth Erickson transferred to Augstana after completing her first year at Aurora College. She graduated in 1943 with a degree in English. She was a member of the Lutheran Student Association, the Berean Bible Class, the Women’s League, the Women’s Athletic Association, and was a student representative of the Augustana Art Association. The Ruth Erickson scrapbooks date from the early 1920s to 1950. The collection consists of a photograph album and two scrapbooks of Erickson's time at Augustana.
- Subject: Women -- Societies and clubs X
- Kappa Epsilon Nu (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 2
- Sigma Kappa Tau (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 2
- Alpha Lambda Delta. Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) Chapter 1
- Alpha Phi Omega. Lambda Rho Chapter (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Inter-Sorority Council 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Parents Club 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). S.O.S. 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Women's League 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Idune Honorary Society 1
- Augustana Endowment Society 1
- Augustana Women 1
- Boaden, Ann 1
- Carlsson-Evald, Emmy, 1857-1946 1
- Chi Omega Gamma. Beta Alumnae Chapter (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Chi Omega Gamma. Tri-City Alumnae Chapter 1
- Easter Seal Society for Disabled Children and Adults 1
- Erickson, Ruth 1
- Holmer, Julia 1
- Kappa Epsilon (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Lindeman, Erleen 1
- Mortar Board (Society). Augustana College Chapter 1
- National Organization for Women 1
- National Organization for Women. Quad Cities Chapter 1
- Olmsted family 1
- Olmsted, Margaret, 1894-1994 1
- Pearson, Ethel Elvera, 1888-1977 1
- Phi Rho (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Phrateres. Omicron Chapter (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Rockford University (Rockford, Ill.) 1
- Rulis, Alfreda Carlson 1
- Sigma Alpha Iota 1
- Sigma Alpha Iota. Delta Tau Chapter (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Sigma Pi Delta (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union 1
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union (Davenport, Iowa) 1
- Zwicker, Miriam May, 1915-1978 1 ∧ less