Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Identifier: MSS 289
Abstract The Udden Geology Club was founded in 1933 and is named in memory of Dr. J.A. Udden, an Augustana graduate of 1911 and later professor of biology and geology. The Udden Geology Club notebook contains lists of different club events and the members who attended each of them from 22 April 1988 to 15 May 1992.
Identifier: MSS 320
Abstract The Barris Family papers, 1820-1901 and undated, contains papers and personal belongings of three generations of the Barris family, a family well known for its contributions in the academic, religious and scientific communities. It contains six series: Biographical, Geology, Correspondence, Carrie Hoyt papers, Photographs, Miscellaneous.
Dates: 1820-1901 and undated
Identifier: MSS 73
Abstract Earth Interpreters: F. M. Fryxell, Geology, and Augustana was published by the Augustana College Library in 1992 as a tribute to Fritiof M. Fryxell, who began teaching at Augustana from 1923 to 1973 and was instrumental in establishing geology as an independent department in 1929. During his tenure at Augustana, Fryxell founded and curated the geology museum on campus, now called the Fryxell Geology Museum. The Earth Interpreters book is composed of 16 essays...
Identifier: MSS 157
Abstract Rudolph W. Edmund graduated from Augustana College with a Bachelor's Degree in Geology in 1934. After working for a year, Edmund continued his education at the University of Iowa where he pursued and then attained a Master's Degree (1938) and then a Ph. D. (1940). For the remainder of his career, he alternated between working in the private sector as a petroleum geologist and teaching in the geology department at Augustana College, where he was instrumental in helping design new facilities for...
Dates: 1933-1998 and undated
Identifier: MSS 16
Abstract Josua Lindahl was a professor of natural science and mathematics at Augustana College and Theological Seminary in Rock Island, Illinois, from 1878 to 1888. Lindahl is remembered as the first full time science teacher at Augustana College and laid the foundation for his successor, John Udden, a later professor of geology. In 1888, Lindahl left Augustana for a position as state geologist and curator at the Illinois Natural History Museum, Springfield. He was an important member of the...
Dates: 1844-1958 and undated
Identifier: MSS 301
Abstract The National Association of Geoscience Teachers (NAGT) is an organization dedicated to the teaching of earth sciences and making information accessible to the general public. The National Association of Geoscience Teachers records, 1937-2017 and undated, consists of 12 series: Constitution, Group Information and Membership, Acquisition Information, Annual Meeting Records and Correspondence, Awards, Regional Sections, Affiliates, Summer Field Training Program, Journal of Geoscience Education,...
Dates: 1937-2017 and undated
Identifier: MSS 17
Abstract Johan August Udden was born in Sweden in 1859 and emigrated to America with his family at the age of 2. He attended St. Ansgar Academy in Minnesota from 1873-1876, and received his Bachelor of Science degree from Augustana College in 1881. He returned to Augustana College to natural science and geology in 1888. While at Augustana, Udden supervised the geology museum, which had been started by Josua Lindahl. Also, he was leader for the Weatherman's Club (1903) which was the forerunner of the...
Dates: 1873-1987 and undated
- Subject: Geology -- Study and teaching X
- Geology -- United States -- Societies, etc. 3
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Faculty 2
- Science -- Study and teaching 2
- Sweden -- Emigration and immigration 2
- Swedish Americans 2
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Faculty 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Students 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Students 1
- College students -- Societies, etc. 1
- Earthquakes -- Illinois 1
- Geologists -- United States 1
- Inventors -- United States 1
- Missionaries -- China -- 19th century 1
- Paleontology -- Study and teaching 1
- Research notes 1
- Student notes 1 ∧ less
- English 5
- Multiple languages 2
- Fryxell, Fritiof, 1900-1986 3
- Anderson, Richard C. (Richard Charles), 1930-2009 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Udden Geology Club 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Runic Honor Society 1
- Barris family 1
- Barris, Caroline Harrison 1
- Barris, Willis Hervey, 1820-1901 1
- Centennial Exhibition (1876 : Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
- Edmund, Rudolph W., 1910-1997 1
- Foss, C.W. (Claude William), 1855-1935 1
- Hoyt, Carrie 1
- Hoyt, Mary Elizabeth Barris, 1847-1931 1
- Hoyt, S.R.J. (Samuel Roosevelt Johnson), 1839-1909 1
- Illinois State Museum 1
- Lindahl, Josua, 1844-1912 1
- National Association of Geoscience Teachers 1
- Schroeder, David A. (David Alan), 1949- 1
- Udden, Johan August, 1859-1932 1
- Ulrich, Edward Oscar, 1857-1944 1 ∧ less