Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 27
Identifier: MSS 53
Overview Alpha Lambda Delta was a national honors society founded at the University of Illinois in 1923. Initially, it was open only to high-achieving women since its brother organization, Phi Eta Sigma, accepted only male participants. Both organizations became co-educational in the mid-1970s. The Augustana chapter, first called the Freshman Women's Honor Group and later nicknamed "Toppers," was formed in 1940. According to its constitution, the group tried to "promote intelligent living and a higher...
Identifier: MSS 375
Overview Mae Anderson grew up in Monmouth, Illinois. She attended Augustana College in Rock Island between 1918 and 1925 and obtained a degree in English. The Mae Anderson papers, 1900-1925, consists of newspaper clippings and a scrapbook.
Identifier: MSS 19a
Overview Netta C. Bartholomew Anderson was one of the first six women to graduate from Augustana College, earning her degree in 1894. She was active in student groups at Augustana and remained active in the Rock Island community and with the Augustana Alumni Association after graduating. She was an early proponent of women's rights and a prolific writer and researcher. Her topics of interest included the role of women in society, women's history, Rock Island County history, and early Illinois history....
Identifier: MSS 50
Overview Aglaia Honor Society was founded in 1940 as an honor society for senior class women at Augustana College. The society chose to name itself after Algaia, or "Brillance," one of the three graces of Greek mythology. In 1946, the group began a long campaign to establish itself as a chapter of the Mortar Board, a national women's honor society. After twenty years of attempting to fulfill the necessary requirements, Augustana College's Mortar Board chapter was initiated in 1965. In 1975, per...
Identifier: MSS 48
Overview S.O.S. was a women’s service organization at Augustana College from 1971 until 1974. S.O.S. was briefly the counterpart to the all-male Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity, until the two groups merged in the mid-1970s. The Augustana College S.O.S. records, 1971-1972 and undated, consists of one folder of material. The collection includes two letters documenting the Student Personnel Committee’s approval of the S.O.S. constitution, three letters thanking S.O.S. members for participating in...
Identifier: MSS 45
Overview The Valkyries was an honorary athletics society that was created for women at Augustana College in 1928. It was organized by the Augustana Girls’ Athletics Association. Membership was limited to 24 girls who had earned 150 points in athletic competitions and were elected into the group. The Valkyries met to discuss problems in athletics and to promote enthusiasm in all women’s athletics. They also organized social functions for the group as well as the entire student body. The Augustana College...
Identifier: MSS 226
Overview The Augustana Woman's Club (later called the Women's League) was founded in 1917. Women enrolled in any Augustana College department were eligible to join. The constitution of the club was soon amended to include women faculty members and wives of the faculty. Many of the activities organized by the club were social in nature while other activities were service-related. Often the group discussed an issue effecting women on campus and came to a consensus before approaching the administration...
Identifier: MSS 278
Overview Chi Omega Gamma is an Augustana College sorority founded in 1925 and still active on campus. The Chi Omega Gamma records, 1925-2006 and undated, contains a scrapbook, mailing lists, memorabilia, and other materials created by Chi Omega Gamma, as well as minutes and other records of the Chi Omega Gamma Tri-City alumnae chapter.
Identifier: MSS 25
Overview Helen Collins was born in 1901 in the town of Wakefield, Nebraska. Her father, Henry Collins, was a prominent businessman in the area; her mother, Sophia Collins, was the daughter of the Salem Lutheran Church's founder. Helen was one of seven children her father hoped would all attend college; Helen and her sister Elsie selected Augustana. While at Augustana, Helen was a member of Sigma Pi Delta (the Speeds) and the women's basketball team. The Helen S. Collins scrapbook contains photographs,...
Identifier: MSS 197
Overview Ruth Erickson transferred to Augstana after completing her first year at Aurora College. She graduated in 1943 with a degree in English. She was a member of the Lutheran Student Association, the Berean Bible Class, the Women’s League, the Women’s Athletic Association, and was a student representative of the Augustana Art Association. The Ruth Erickson scrapbooks date from the early 1920s to 1950. The collection consists of a photograph album and two scrapbooks of Erickson's time at Augustana.
- Subject: Women college students -- Illinois X
- Kappa Epsilon Nu (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 2
- Sigma Kappa Tau (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 2
- Sigma Pi Delta (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 2
- Alpha Lambda Delta. Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) Chapter 1
- Alpha Phi Omega. Lambda Rho Chapter (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Anderson, Mae 1
- Anderson, Netta C. Bartholomew, 1873-1960 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Alumni Association 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Choir 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Department of History 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Inter-Sorority Council 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Roosevelt Outing Club 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). S.O.S. 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Women's League 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Idune Honorary Society 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Valkyries 1
- Bartholomew family 1
- Bartholomew, E.F. (Edward Fry), 1846-1946 1
- Chi Omega Gamma. Tri-City Alumnae Chapter 1
- Collins, Helen S., b. 1901 1
- Erickson, Ruth 1
- Farley, Ruth Laverne Sophia Swanson, 1918-2008 1
- Johnson, Niel M. 1
- Johnson, Verna Gail Applegate 1
- Kappa Epsilon (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Lindeman, Erleen 1
- Moline, Heloise Olson, 1907-1972 1
- Mortar Board (Society). Augustana College Chapter 1
- Olmsted family 1
- Olmsted, Margaret, 1894-1994 1
- Olsson family 1
- Olsson, Anna Lisa 1
- Olsson, Anna, 1866-1946 1
- Olsson, Johannes Samuel "Hannes", 1877-1967 1
- Olsson, Lydia, 1874-1958 1
- Olsson, Maria, 1869-1934 1
- Olsson, Olof, 1841-1900 1
- Pearson, Ethel Elvera, 1888-1977 1
- Phi Rho (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Phrateres. Omicron Chapter (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Pi Upsilon Gamma (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Rho Nu Delta (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Sigma Alpha Iota 1
- Sigma Alpha Iota. Delta Tau Chapter (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1
- Swanson family 1
- Swanson, Alan Benjamin, 1934-2016 1
- Swanson, Audrey Josephine Lundahl, 1924-1996 1
- Swanson, D. Verner (David Verner), 1890-1978 1
- Swanson, Tracy J. 1
- Swanson, Vernon Emmanuel, 1922-1992 1
- Warner, Robin "Tootie" Swanson 1
- Williams, Anna Marian 1
- Zwicker, Miriam May, 1915-1978 1 ∧ less