Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 14
Identifier: MSS 235
Abstract The Augustana Concert Band is the oldest musical organization on campus, founded in 1874. Since its founding, the band has toured multiple times throughout the United States as well as in Europe, notably being one of the first American collegiate groups to travel through Europe in 1928. The Augustana College Band records, 1875-2013 and undated, consists of eight series: Programs, Minutes, Financial Records, Correspondence, Publicity, Other Bands, Video Recordings, and Sound Recordings.
Dates: 1875-2013 and undated
Identifier: MSS 234
Abstract The Augustana Choir was formed in 1931 under the direction of Henry Veld, who merged Augustana College's two choral groups, the Wennerberg Chorus and the Orioles, into one group. The choir made its first appearance 18 March 1931 during a concert at Orchestra Hall in Chicago and became an immediate success. Since its debut, the Choir has performed all over the United States and has made appearances in Canada, Europe, and China. The Choir has made numerous recordings and has performed on both...
Dates: 1914-2013 and undated
Identifier: MSS 230
Abstract The Conservatory of Music was established in 1886 as a part of Augustana College and Theological Seminary with its own board of trustees. The conservatory instructed students in the areas of voice, piano, stringed instruments, and brass instruments. The collection includes programs, posters, brochures, announcements, invitations, tickets, bulletins, correspondence, and faculty minutes.
Dates: 1886-2019 and Undated
Identifier: MSS 237
Abstract The Collection on Augustana Musical Organizations, 1873-1936, 1983-2001, contains information on several historic (now defunct) musical groups formed at Augustana College: Lusciniola Society, Chapel Choir, Lutherman Male Chorus, Augustana Male Quartet, and Koto Ensemble. Materials include constitutions, minutes and other official records, programs, photographs, and ephemera.
Dates: 1873-1936, 1983-2001
Identifier: MSS 266
Abstract The Augustana College Office of Cultural Events was responsible for planning and scheduling events on campus, especially those related to music and theater. While mostly organizing events for students and faculty, the Office of Cultural Events also helped organize events for visiting performers. Materials in this collection include newsletters, posters, flyers, news clippings, and programs.
Dates: 1955-2017 and Undated
Identifier: MSS 236
Abstract The Augustana Symphony Orchestra, also known as the Augustana College Orchestra in its earlier years, is a student-based musical organization that features select soloists from the college. It has been an active organization in the college, even from its early years. The Augustana Symphony Orchestra records, 1912-1991 and undated, contains programs, clippings, financial records, and posters.
Dates: 1912-1991 and undated
Identifier: MSS 150
Abstract Erland Levi Borg was an Augustana alumnus and Lutheran minister. The Erland Levi Borg papers, 1926-1993 and undated, contains articles, pamphlets, receipts, music uniforms, and paraphernalia regarding the Augustana Concert Band European Tour of 1928 and other campus organizations. There is also biographical information regarding Borg's life after Augustana and photographs of Band Tour Reunions. Materials have been arranged into series according to accession date.
Dates: 1926-1993 and undated
Identifier: MSS 147
Abstract A. Cyril Graham was an organist, instructor, and composer who served as Head of the Organ and Theoretical Departments at the Conservatory of Music at Augustana College from 1921 to 1932. The A. Cyril Graham papers, 1901-circa 1939, 1976 and undated, primarily includes published and unpublished sheet music for pieces composed by Graham, as well as material related to a 1976 musical program in his honor.
Dates: 1901-circa 1939, 1976 and undated
Identifier: MSS 367
Abstract The Martin M. Johnston papers, 1920-1939 and undated, contains photographs, travel brochures, postcards, and maps, primarily related to the Augustana College Band's European tour of 1928. Martin M. Johnston was a music director and graduate of the Augustana Music Conservatory who led the band on this tour.
Dates: 1920-1939 and undated.
Identifier: MSS 233
Abstract The Oriole Club (later the Oriole Chorus) was founded in 1915 by eighteen women students at Augustana College and Theological Seminary. The group stated its object as the "development and continuance of a ladies' chorus to promote instruction, sociability and entertainment of the members." The Oriole Chorus combined with the all-male Wennerberg Chorus to form the Augustana College Choir in 1931, although it continued to perform as a distinct group (later known as the Jenny Lind Chorus) until...
- Subject: Music in universities and colleges -- Illinois -- Rock Island X
- Music -- Instruction and study 9
- Choral societies -- Illinois -- Rock Island 5
- Music -- Societies, etc. 5
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Students 4
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Students 3
- College students -- Social life and customs 2
- Men's choral societies -- Illinois -- Rock Island 2
- Sheet music 2
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Faculty 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.) -- Alumni and alumnae 1
- Choral conductors -- Illinois 1
- College musicals 1
- College students -- Societies, etc. 1
- Composers -- Illinois -- Rock Island 1
- Europe -- Description and travel 1
- Music -- Manuscripts 1
- Musicians 1
- Piano -- Instruction and study 1
- Student notes 1
- Symphony orchestras -- United States -- History -- 20th century 1
- Theater 1
- Women -- Societies and clubs 1
- Women college students -- Illinois 1
- Women's choral societies -- Illinois -- Rock Island 1 ∧ less
- English 11
- Multiple languages 3
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Band 3
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Choir 2
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Conservatory of Music 2
- Veld, Henry 2
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.) 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Augustana Symphony Orchestra 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Koto Ensemble 1
- Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Office of Cultural Events 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Augustana Male Quartet 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Chapel Choir 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Lusciniola Society 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Lutherman Male Chorus 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Oriole Chorus 1
- Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Wennerberg Chorus 1
- Borg, Erland Levi 1
- Graham, A. Cyril, 1878-1953 1
- Handel Oratorio Society 1
- Hemke, Junita Borg 1
- Johnston, Martin M. 1
- Sabbath, Barbara 1
- Sabbath, Charles 1
- Sigma Alpha Iota 1
- Sigma Alpha Iota. Delta Tau Chapter (Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)) 1 ∧ less