Greek letter societies
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: MSS 53
Abstract Alpha Lambda Delta was a national honors society founded at the University of Illinois in 1923. Initially, it was open only to high-achieving women since its brother organization, Phi Eta Sigma, accepted only male participants. Both organizations became co-educational in the mid-1970s. The Augustana chapter, first called the Freshman Women's Honor Group and later nicknamed "Toppers," was formed in 1940. According to its constitution, the group tried to "promote intelligent living and a higher...
Identifier: MSS 54
Abstract Alpha Phi Omega (APO) is a national co-ed service fraternity. Since the early 1970s, the Augustana College chapter, Lambda Rho, has sponsored the Ugly Man On Campus (UMOC) auction and talent show to raise money for charity. This collection contains programs from Ugly Man on Campus events, 1970-2007.
Identifier: MSS 56
Abstract The Inter-Fraternity Council at Augustana College was founded in the fall of 1929. The object of the group, as set forth by its constitution and outlined in the 1931 Rockety-I yearbook, was "...to decide upon any and all matters pertaining to fraternity rushing, pledging and general acts of conduct, at all times keeping in mind the rules and regulations of the administration." At the time of its founding, the Council consisted of three officers, a President, Vice President, and...
Identifier: MSS 66
Abstract Student government began at Augustana College in 1892 with the group calling itself the “Students' Union.” Upholding the honor system, assigning committee members, and overseeing committees were among some of the first responsibilities of the Students' Union. Eventually the group changed its name to the Representative Assembly and then the Student Government Association. The group currently operates as a governing body on campus and a liaison between students and Augustana College...
Dates: 1892-2000 and undated
Identifier: MSS 274
Abstract The Beta Omega Sigma social club (fraternity) was founded at Augustana College 10 December 1929. The organization is known as the “BOS." The Beta Omega Sigma records include fraternity meeting minutes, information about fraternity events, photographs, a fraternity newsletter, and an Augustana Observer article about a fraternity member.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1929-1999, 2018
Identifier: MSS 294
Abstract The Chi Omega Gamma, Beta alumnae chapter was organized 21 January 1945 in Chicago, Illinois. The members met to keep in touch with alumnae from the Augustana College sorority, Chi Omega Gamma. The Chi Omega Gamma, Beta alumnae chapter records, 1945-1964, contains minutes, membership records, correspondence, invitations, flyers, COGWheel newsletters, and mailing lists.
Identifier: MSS 278
Abstract Chi Omega Gamma is an Augustana College sorority founded in 1925 and still active on campus. The Chi Omega Gamma records, 1925-2006 and undated, contains a scrapbook, mailing lists, memorabilia, and other materials created by Chi Omega Gamma, as well as minutes and other records of the Chi Omega Gamma Tri-City alumnae chapter.
Dates: 1925-2006 and undated
Identifier: MSS 414
Abstract This collection includes items collected by Paul Joseph Horick, Jr. during his time as an undergraduate student at Augustana College and Theological Seminary. It contains biographical information, a photograph of Paul Joseph Horick, Jr. and Sr., Phi Omega Phi materials, Homecoming ephemera, and a letterman's sweater with a separate varsity letter 'A'.
Dates: 1944-1945 and undated
Identifier: MSS 172
Abstract The Inter-Sorority Council was founded in the fall of 1929 as the governing body of the Augustana College sororities. The council, at the time of its founding, consisted of two officers, a President and a Secretary-Treasurer; two representatives of each of the sororities; two faculty members; and the current Dean of Women. The council controlled regulations for sorority rushing and pledging. The Inter-Sorority Council meeting minutes, 1934-1938, contains minutes of the groups meetings from 1934...
Identifier: MSS 277
Abstract The Kappa Epsilon Nu sorority, known as both the “Kens” and the “Kappas”, was established as a sorority at Augustana College in 1925 by Leota J. Norton, Ester Woodburn, Florence Tams, Eleanor Graham, Ethel Eldrige, Charlotte Schnathoist, Kay Bragg, Helen Searle, Natalie Souders, and Frances Long. The Kens chose to give up their charter in 1970, citing declining membership and insubstantial funds as the cause. The Kappa Epsilon Nu records, 1926-1970 and undated (bulk 1945-1970), includes...
Dates: 1926-1970 and undated; Majority of material found within ( 1945-1970)